Special brownies aren’t the only option on the edibles menu anymore. Cooking with cannabis has become increasingly popular. People are starting to branch out and infuse cannabis into snacks, drinks, and even main courses!
It’s important to understand the science of THC when you get started, you just might find your dish doesn’t have the effect you hoped for. In order to get the psychoactive effect of THC, you must first decarboxylate the marijuana you plan to put into your recipe. Decarboxylating is the process of heating marijuana at a low temperature in order to activate the chemical reaction that allows the plant to give users a high.
Luckily, the process is pretty easy. It is potent though, so be aware!
1. Preheat your oven to 240 degrees
2. Break up your cannabis buds and flowers by hand
3. Place the cannabis in a thin layer on a baking sheet with a rim
4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes. Be sure to stir your mixture every ten minutes
5. When the cannabis has reached a medium brown color and feels dry, remove it from the oven
6. Allow the cannabis to cool for 15-20 minutes
7. Using a food processor, grind the cannabis coarsely
8. To preserve it, store in a cool place within an airtight container
You can use this method to prepare cannabis for just about any dish. Many people like to use it to make butter for cooking, or to add it to peanut butter or Nutella for creating sweet treats.
Put Your Decarb Skills to Use!
Without a doubt, summer is one of the most anticipated times of the year. Warm weather, cookouts, and friendly gatherings make us look forward to the season all year round. Summer doesn’t have to be the end of beating creative with your infused treats, either. We’ve got a spin on some popular campfire munchies that will really hit the spot!
A Special Crunch: Infused Chex Mix
Can the salty, crunchy perfection of Chex Mix get any better? You bet it does! Here’s what you need:
-3 Cups Corn Chex
-3 Cup Rice Chex
-3 Cups Wheat Chex
-1 cup mixed nuts
-1 cup small pretzels
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon red pepper (if you like some zing!)
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-2 tablespoons worcheshire sauce
-½ cup cannabis butter
Here’s how it’s done:
• Preheat your oven to 250 degrees
• Using a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients
• Using your microwave or stovetop, melt the cannabis butter
• When it is fully melted, add the seasonings and Worcheshire sauce
• Add the melted butter and seasoning mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring thoroughly.
• Place the mixture in a deep baking dish
• Bake for 60 minutes, stirring occasionally
• Let cool 15 minutes, and enjoy!
A Sweet Treat: S’more Cannabis, Please!
Nothing says summer like a gooey, chocolatey s’more! For those with a sweet tooth, this infused recipe is sure to be a hit. Gather around the fire with the following ingredients:
– A small pinch of decarbed marijuana
-1 tablespoon of Nutella or peanut butter
-1 square of your favorite chocolate
-1 graham cracker, halved
It’s as easy as 1…2…3…
• Spread Nutella or peanut butter on both halves of a graham cracker
• Sprinkle a small pinch of decarbonized marijuana on the cracker
• Place one square of chocolate on one of the graham cracker halves
• Using a roasting stick, carefully roast the marshmallow until it is golden brown
• Place the marshmallow on top of one of the graham cracker halves
• Top with the other graham cracker
• Press down lightly to compress the marshmallow
There are unlimited ways to enjoy cannabis in edible form! We hope you enjoy testing out these summer recipes!